Complete digital official shop manual contains service, maintenance, and troubleshooting information for the 1995-2007 Ford Windstar, Freestar. Diagnostic and repair procedures are covered in great detail to repair, maintain, rebuild, refurbish or restore your vehicle like a professional mechanic in local service/repair workshop. This cost-effective quality manual is 100% complete and intact as should be without any missing pages. It is the same factory shop manual used by dealers that guaranteed to be fully functional to save your precious time.
This manual for 1995-2007 Ford Windstar, Freestar is divided into different sections. Each section covers a specific component or system and, in addition to the standard service procedures, includes disassembling, inspecting, and assembling instructions. A table of contents is placed at the beginning of each section. Pages are easily found by category, and each page is expandable for great detail. It is in the cross-platform PDF document format so that it works like a charm on all kinds of devices. You do not need to be skilled with a computer to use the manual.
2007 ENGINE Engine - 3.9L and 4.2L - Freestar & Monterey
1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to JACKING AND LIFTING article.
2. Release the fuel system pressure. For additional information, refer to FUEL SYSTEM - GENERAL INFORMATION article.
3. Disconnect the battery ground and positive cables. For additional information, refer to BATTERY, MOUNTING AND CABLES article.
4. Recover the air conditioning system. For additional information, refer to CLIMATE CONTROL SYSTEM - GENERAL INFORMATION AND DIAGNOSTICS article.
5. Remove the engine air cleaner and engine air cleaner outlet pipe. For additional information, refer to INTAKE AIR DISTRIBUTION AND FILTERING article.
6. Disconnect the fuel rail spring lock coupling. For additional information, refer to FUEL SYSTEM - GENERAL INFORMATION article.
7. Remove the cowl panel grille. For additional information, refer to FRONT END BODY PANELS article.
Illustration Tool Name Tool Number
Powertrain Lift 014-00765
Lifting Bracket Set, Engine
303-D095 (D94L-6001-A) or equivalent
WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel-related components. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.
CAUTION: During engine repair procedures, cleanliness is extremely important. Any foreign material, including any material created while cleaning gasket surfaces, that enters the oil passages, coolant passages or the oil pan, can cause engine failure.
8. Disconnect the windshield wiper motor electrical connector.
Fig. 137: Locating Windshield Wiper Motor Electrical Connector
9. Remove the bolts and the cowl top panel.
Fig. 138: Locating Cowl Top Panel Bolts
10. Drain the cooling system. For additional information, refer to ENGINE COOLING article.
11. If equipped, disconnect the 2 lower oil cooler coolant tube quick connect fittings.
Fig. 139: Locating Quick Disconnect Oil Cooler Coolant Tubes
12. If equipped, disconnect the 2 upper oil cooler coolant tube quick connect fittings.
Remove the bolt and the coolant tubes.
Fig. 140: Locating Oil Cooler Coolant Tubes
13. Remove the power steering pump. For additional information, refer to POWER STEERING article.
14. Remove the starter. For additional information, refer to STARTING SYSTEM article.
15. Remove the dual converter Y-pipe. For additional information, refer to EXHAUST SYSTEM article.
16. Remove the drain plug and drain the engine oil.
Install the drain plug and tighten to 26 Nm (19 lb-ft).
Fig. 141: Locating Engine Oil Drain Plug
17. Disconnect the accelerator cable end and the speed control actuator cable end. Remove the throttle return spring.